Friday, 19 August 2016

How To Cope On A Bad Day

We all have bad days.
Every single one of us has been caught beneath that charcoal-toned cloud, hopelessly following us around, creating a glass-half-empty attitude in which we find the smallest, most normal actions sending us into a whirl of annoyance and frustration that no amount of motivational quotes can drag us out from.  Some of us experience light drizzle, others find themselves drenched in the downpour.
But here’s something we all need to remember, and something I often try to remind myself: Even in our darkest hours: although the clouds may be blocking the sun, the sun still exists, and it WILL come out again.
There are endless reasons and components to someone struggling; from something as typical as ‘waking up on the wrong side of the bed’ to more serious cases of anxiety and depression, and when you feel like that the last thing you need is someone telling you how to be happy! So, I’m not here to tell you how to be happy… I am here to share some tips and tricks that have helped me, and I hope that in some way, they can help you too.

1. Headphones & Long Walks
When you feel like you’ve hit rock bottom, more often than not the only thing you want to do is just lay in bed, put the covers over your head and stay there, just praying that the feeling will go away in time. It’s so easy to tell someone to get up and do something proactive if you don’t understand how they’re feeling, but if you can muster up the energy you can change your whole outlook. The best thing you can possibly do is motivate yourself to get up, get dressed, grab a bottle of water, throw in my headphones and take some time out in the fresh air. Science shows that you really should stop and smell the roses, as the many scents from surrounding flowers and trees can decrease stress and promote relaxation.
Pick yourself a good song, one that uplifts you, even if for only three minutes. My bad day song is ‘Send Me on my Way’ by Rusted Root, always a winner!


2. Pen to Paper
For years and years I kept a diary, I found it the most effective way of releasing all of my thoughts and fears, without having to worry about what people would think or say. If you don’t want to talk to anyone about your problems, then it’s a really positive alternative to bottling things up. Sometimes, you’ll find yourself writing pages and pages, just to look at it, tear it up and dispose of it. This is fine! The most important thing is that you’ve addressed some of the issues that have been bringing you down.

3. Digital Detox
It’s a fairly common routine nowadays to wake up, grab your phone and scroll through social media. For some people, it’s an imperative start to their day, part of my job involves being highly active on social media, so the first thing I do is check what is going on in the world of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. However, I don’t know about you, but too often I find myself fixated on the lives of other people, comparing myself to others and beating myself up about my lack of success, money and ability to draw on the perfect eyebrows.
Social media is a fantastic hub, there’s no denying that, but sometimes we just need to take a little break. A bad day can be dramatically improved just by putting our heads out the window and experiencing the real world.


4. Long Hugs & Friends
We all have that one person that we go to in a crisis, whether it’s a family member or a best friend. Sometimes, all we need is a big cup of tea, a long cuddle and someone to tell us that they are there for us, and are listening. Surrounding yourself with positive people is a wonderful way of increasing your own positivity and making that half-empty glass just the tiniest bit fuller. There are so many clich├ęs about a problem shared being a problem halved, but it is true. Talking is so important. 

5. Be Kind to Yourself
It’s so easy to say isn’t it? ‘Be kind to yourself’. But how can you, when it feels like your whole world is tumbling down and you’re blaming yourself for its collapse?  Well, you can start by stopping beating yourself up! Start by making a small difference, whether your accomplishments at the moment come in the form of tidying your desk at work, or just managing to get dressed, every achievement is noteworthy. Listen to people when they try and lend you support, even if you don’t want to hear it, you deserve to hear kind words. Most importantly, remember back to a time you felt like this before, and then remember back to a time when you felt amazingly happy – you managed to get yourself into that position before, believe in yourself that you can do it again, even if it only means, for now, popping up an umbrella and letting it catch some of that rain.

Post Written by Elly from: EllyMitchell

You can find Elly in all these places 
Please go and give her a follow!

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin 

Share:

1 comment

  1. Oh I so needed to read this today! This week has been awful and it's only Wednesday :( I do just wanna hide under the covers tbh. I have chores to do though and jobs to apply to :( maybe I should try make some time for a walk today :)

    I also think I'll do a social media detox, I'm comparing myself so much to everyone else. I feel so unsuccessful compared to everyone!

    Amber Love Blog

    ReplyDelete

© My Little Memoir | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig